Facilities and Equipment
The Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Institute is equipped to meet the needs of almost any geophysical fluid dynamics researcher.
Since the founding of the Institute, a large collection of scientific books and periodicals relevant to the field of geophysical fluid dynamics has been maintained in the reading room, which is conveniently located in the same suite as most GFDI offices and laboratories.
Details Coming Soon!
The Institute supports a multi-platform networked computer system, with more than 30 separate workstations. These offer a mix of Windows 2000 desktops and Linux workstations supported by a backbone of Linux servers.
- 16 Modern Dual Processor Workstations and Servers. Most have dual LCD's. Most have more than a gigabyte of ram.
- A terabyte of networked disk storage.
- 20+ Single Processor Desktops and Workstations.
- Networked printers include one HP 4600 color laserjet, two monocolor laserjets (HP 4000 and HP 4050) and a 42in HP 800ps color plotter.
- Fast core 10/100/1000 switches between internal machines.
- Fiber connectivity to campus backbone.
- Internal 802.11b/g wifi network.
GFDI also maintains a well-equipped machine shop with high quality machines and hand tools; most of the apparatus for laboratory experiments can be built in house.
The photo lab is outfitted with two separate darkrooms and a variety of different cameras, allowing video, prints or films to be processed with equal ease, in black-and-white or color.
Two Argon lasers and several smaller lasers are available for laboratory experiments, as are four high-quality turntables of various size, each furnishes a multi-channel slip ring assembly(to supply electric power to the turntable and to transmit experimental data and video signal from the tabletop to the computer) and a 4-port supply and return for hot and cold water. The institute also has two large constant temperature water circulators and a number of smaller units (for use in controlling temperature in experiments) and many other types of small laboratory equipment.